Unit 3: Magazine Publications
How do the principles of design effect the message of a publication?
Something to consider for the yearbook:
This is the first of 12 video tutorials that you may choose to watch to become better acquainted with Weebly.
Advertising Tips and Techniques:
Advertising tells people about a product or service and it usually focuses on the good parts of it in an effort to get people to buy it.
The "Z" Form: select any of the ads to demonstrate how eyes track over an ad. According to one theory, if you learned to read left-to-right, your eyes will scan over the page from left-to-right in a "Z" form unless a design element directs your attention elsewhere.
Marketing firms use this theory to place ad elements where they will catch your eyes. There will be an element to lead your eyes in, something catchy in the middle, and the logo or message will frequently appear in the lower-middle area to the right.
Light Works: Human eyes tend to look towards a lighter color. Where are the lighter colors? Or is light color used to draw the eye to the product?
Day 36: Monday, April 21st
Objective: Work on Yearbook
Day 35: Friday, March 14th
Objective: Finish Designs and complete self assessment for overall project
Day 34: Wednesday, March 12th
Objective: Finish Designs and complete self assessment rubrics for layouts completed
Day 33: Monday March, 10th
Objective: Work on Magazine and Yearbook Layouts
Day 32: Thursday, March 6th
Objective: Work on Magazine and Yearbook Layouts
Day 31: Tuesday, March 4th
Objective: Review work done last week
1. Our current project list is:
Day 30: Friday, February 27th
Objective: Revisit your Magazine Articles and Edit
Everyone: (Si you will take over Tarn's writing) - Check your personal checklist
Day 29: Wednesday, February 25th (sorry I think I put the wrong dates on your checklist)
Objective: The class objective for the day is to finish the "extra" pages in the magazine.
Mia- Finish the Table of Contents today
Day 28: February 24th
Objective: Finish first draft of layout
Kong: Finish details on magazine cover and revisit old pages
1. Ask Mr. Michael to critique your cover. Make adjustments as needed
2. Export pages as PDFs, and save these PDFs in the student drive, IN the magazine folder (not in some random place)
*Please look at Si and Donggeon's current layouts and give them suggestions
3. Revisit your layout of Tarn's writing. You have some formatting to do on this.
1. It seems you need to adjust your line to accommodate all text boxes and circles
2. Add all the circles and text boxes
3. Don't forget to make the text boxes grey and to add who wrote and designed the pages under each title.
Si: Improve and finish overall layout
1. Look at your layout and ask suggestions from Mr. Michael and your classmates. You have it finished, but the overall design could be improved
2. Make adjustments to your layout
Donggeon: Finish "About the Design Team" Layout
1. Fix the names and arrows, as I suggested last class. The top arrows can be black and the bottom white.
2. The wording is inappropriate for a magazine that will be printed for school. Information you need is their name and you can write something about their hobbies, but nothing silly or mean.
3. Review your layout and make sure that it fits well with Si's.
4. Get Mr. Michael and classmates to look it over and give suggestions.
5. Export as pdf, and save in Student Drive, IT, HS Publication, and in the file Magazine.
Day 27: Feb. 20th
Objective: Take photos for layouts
1. Critique printed layouts
2. Today a professional photographer will be here, we will be taking our group shots for the magazine with him.
Day 26: Feb. 18th
Objective: Work on Current Layouts
Mia- Table of Contents
Donggeon- About the 9th Graders
Si- About the Design Team
Kong- Cover and Back
Ms. Ashley- About the Assignment
Day 25: Feb. 11th
Objective: Take Photos to be used in the final pages of magazine
Day 24: Feb. 7th
Objective: Choose and sketch last part of Magazine
Day 23: Feb. 5th
Objective: Print final layouts for 1st drafts
Day 22: February 3rd
Objective: Work on 2nd Layout and plan the Cover
Day 21: January 27th
Objective: Export final draft of your layout to print from PDF
1. Debrief from Friday's field trip
2. Sign up for Geocache.com to register tag
3. Work on layout
DUE TODAY: Your first draft of layout of your design
Day 20: January 23rd
Objective: Finish layout of magazine spread/start new layout
Day 19: January 21st
Objective: Finish About the Author section
Day 18: January 17th
Objective: Continue working on Magazine spread (Print first draft)
Day 17: January 15th
Objective: Take and insert images into layout
Day 16: January 13th
Objective: Insert text to magazine layout
Day 15: January 9th
Objective: Layout ALL the text of your magazine design
Day 14: January 7th
Objective: Set up magazine layout for your page. Tech. New Year's Resolution
1. Review parts of a magazine.
2. Group: Set up magazine layout together (use handout as a guide)
3. Create your text layout and plan for photos that you will need.
4. New Year Tech. Resolution- Organize, publish, and save your work using an electronic portfolio.
Homework: Take and bring the photos that you will need to the next class period.
Day 13: December 12th
Objective: Practice creating a magazine layout (fine tuning text format)
1. Review parts of a magazine
2. Complete Creating a Layout Tutorial
Day 12: December 10th
Objective: Learn Magazine layout tips and tricks in order to apply them to your magazine final.
1. Parts of a Magazine and Planning your design
3. Share work with teacher and class
Day 11: December 2nd
Objective: Print final drafts in high quality to detect any flaws or fixes. Introduction to next unit.
1. Print out InDesign Advertisements
2. Critique adverts and make changes if needed
3. Self asses final draft against the principles of design
4. Introduction to new unit
Day 10: November 30th
Objective: Finish the edits for final drafts
1. Editing time on InDesign
Day 9: November 28thObjective: Critique and revise magazine Ads
Day 8: November 26th
Objective: Complete first draft of Magazine Ads.
Day 7: November 19th
Objective: Create 2 Magazine Advertisements
Day 6: November 18th
Objective: Choose photos for add, create ad layout
1. As a group you will need to have 12-15 high quality/edited photos to use in the advertisements (this means each person contributes a total of 4 or more)
Day 5: November 15th (Missed/Skipped class...make up in Day 6)
Objective: Choose and edit photos for an advertisement
1. Choose pictures to edit for your Berkeley Advertisement
Day 4: November 13
Objective: Determine the purpose (audience) for your advertisement
1. The Power of PHOTOSHOP!
2. What makes a good advertisement? http://www.slideshare.net/DanielleOser/elements-of-advertisements
3. Evaluate the audience/purpose of advertisements
4. Elements of Advertisements
6. Set up InDeign Document
Day 3: November 11th
Objective: Adjusting an image in Photoshop
1. Overview of Project:
3. Choose Photos for your advertisement
Day 2: November 1st
Objective: Learn the basics of creating an InDesign Document
1. InDesign Intro:
2. Create InDesign Project based on your magazine choice
3. Independent Work Time
Day 1: October 30th
Objective: Identify the 4+2 Principles of Design and evaluate work based on them.
1. Choose 2-3 articles/advertisements that catch your eye
2. EduCanon Video Tutorials
4. Poster Designs for Principles of Design
5. Code Time